Book Review: Threads that Bind

I just finished reading Threads that Bind, which is the first in a duology entitled, most originally, Threads that Bind.

The second book in the series is called Hearts that Cut and it came out on June 18, 2024. I'm excited that I'll get to read the book that finishes this story without having to wait months for it to be released.

If I rated this book strictly on entertainment value, I'd give it four stars. It's not something I'll probably remember later, but it's definitely better than just okay. I truly enjoyed reading it, despite the drama, razor-sharp jaw lines, and slightly overdone man-fantasizing.

I only rated the writing three stars. The writer did a great job writing immersively, but went a bit overboard on the romanticizing, at least by my standards. I could have done with a bit less of the FMC's juvenile inner monologue. I guess this just goes to showcase the age gap between myself and the MC. I do find that I struggle to connect with young adult themed books because the MCs tend to behave immaturely, and the themes are often simplistic. Not pointing this out as a criticism, but more of a observation. Not every book is for every person.

I gravitate towards characters who are complex, realistic and life-experienced, and I tend to shy away from ones who are perfect looking and who growl and smolder at everything.

I would have loved to see a fate thread connect to someone with a disability, traumatic past, or other unique quality. Perhaps someone morally grey (Severus Snape vibes). Maybe someone who has a really good reason to dislike the MC and vice versa. More tension between the MCs would have been interesting.

Overall though, it was a decent read. I just think it could have been even better.

If you have read this book and have any thoughts to add, feel free to speak at me down in comment region and I will enjoy the interaction. I love discussing the books I read with ya'll.

xxSamxx

Book Review: Threads that Bind Book Review: Threads that Bind Reviewed by Samantha Jayne Frost on June 21, 2024 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.